Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Welcome to the official website for the village of Cold Spring, New York
On Our Site

Village Seal
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between the Village of Cold Spring and the area known as Cold
The Village of Cold Spring and the area with a postal mailing address of Cold Spring are separate but overlapping geographical spaces with different governing bodies. The Village of Cold Spring is an incorporated village located within the Town of Philipstown. While the Village has a Mayor, the Town's top official is the Town Supervisor.  More information on the Town of Philipstown may be found at 

What are the office hours for Village Hall?
Village Hall is open Monday through Thursday from 8:30am to 4:30pm and Friday from 8:30am to 12:30pm

When are Village taxes due?
Village taxes are issued by June 1st and are due without penalty by June 30th.
By New York State Law, property owners are responsible for payment of taxes even if
they do not receive their tax bill. If you haven’t received your tax bill prior to June 7th,
please contact the Village Treasurer at (845) 265-3611. Tax bills that are paid by an
escrow service will be sent directly to the escrow company. Credit card or online
payment is not available. In order to prevent late fees, taxes must be received in Village
Hall or postmarked by June 30th. The penalty for late payment is 5% during the month of
July and an additional one percent for each month thereafter. All taxes unpaid as of
February 1st are forwarded to Putnam County for collection.

Where can I find information about the STAR program and property assessment?
This information is available through the Town of Philipstown Assessor’s Office. The Assessor
can be contacted by calling (845) 265-5203 between the office hours of 8:30am through
2 pm Monday through Friday.

When will I receive a water and sewer bill?
Water meters are read and billed quarterly. Bills are sent out in mid-January, April, July
and October and are due in full within 30 days, usually between the 14-18th of the
following month. All accounts are subject to a 6% late penalty if not paid by the due date.   

Can I obtain a birth certificate from the Village of Cold Spring?
The Village of Cold Spring maintains records of births from 1890-present. Any person
born within the Village limits, including births at Butterfield Hospital, will be able to
obtain a certified copy of their birth certificate. Please refer to Application for Copy of Birth Certificate

How do I register to vote?
Voter registration forms are available at Village Hall or can be obtained by contacting the
Putnam County Board of Elections at (845) 808-1300 or by visiting the Putnam County Board of Elections site by clicking here.

Can I park in the Municipal Lot?
The municipal parking lot located on Fair Street is intended for the use of resident and visitor parking. No buses or campers are permitted due to the size limitations. The municipal lot provides paid, metered parking. During snow storms, the village may post signs advising vehicle owners to move their vehicles to allow for clearing of the lot. Vehicles interfering with snow removal may be towed at owner’s expense.

How do I obtain a parking permit?
Individuals residing west of the Metro North railroad tracks on Main Street, New Street,
West Street, Fish Street and Market Street may be eligible for a residential parking permit
as described in Chapter 127 of the Village of Cold Spring Code. Parking permits
relieve residents of the burden of moving their vehicle every two hours during the
hours from 8 am to 5 pm on the aforementioned roadways. If you are a resident of
this area and would like to obtain a permit, please complete an
Application for Parking Permit and submit to the Village Clerk at Village Hall.

What are the seasonal parking restrictions?
From November 15th to April 15th during the hours from 12 midnight to 6am, seasonal
parking restrictions are in effect. Village Code specifies that there is no parking on
Village streets during these times. However, as a courtesy to our residents, the board has
initiated a call-in program to notify residents that restrictions are in place for that night.
The number to contact is the Village Highway Department at (845) 747-7669.

A recording will state whether parking is allowed on that specific night. Residents are
urged to call this number every evening after 5 pm. Restrictions may be instituted if a
storm is predicted or on the day following a storm to assist with cleanup. Off-street
parking is available at the Municipal Parking lot on Fair Street and also at the intersection
of Kemble Avenue and The Boulevard, as marked.

How do I obtain a permit to fish in the Village reservoirs?
All village residents and parties who pay water bills to the Village of Cold Spring are
eligible to obtain a fishing permit. They must complete and submit an
Application for a Fishing Permit with identification to the Village Clerk. The cost is
$5.00 for individuals who are under sixty years of age. Seniors and children under 16
years are free of charge. New York State Fishing licenses can be obtained through the
Town of Philipstown at 238 Main Street.

How do I report that a street light is out?
Please contact the Village Clerk at 265-3611 or by email at and
provide the location and pole number. The Village Clerk will then notify Central Hudson
of the problem.

I am interested in using Mayor’s Park Pavilion for a party. Do I need to obtain a permit?
A permit is required for group use (over 25 people) and is limited to Philipstown
residents. An Application for Group Use of Mayor's Park Pavilion must be submitted to
the Village Clerk prior to the monthly meeting of the Recreation Department which
is held on the 3rd Tuesday of every month. The fee schedule and instructions are
included in the application form.

How can I obtain a handicapped parking permit?
The Village of Cold Spring issues temporary or permanent handicapped parking permits
to eligible Village residents. An application form and instructions can be obtained at the
NYS Department of Motor Vehicle site 
Applicants should have the medical certification section of the application completed by their
physician, podiatrist or nurse practitioner. Completed applications must be submitted at
Village Hall. If the applicant has a NYS Driver's License or non-driver's identification they
should bring this information with them. There is no fee associated with this permit.
Please note that parking permits or disabled license plates cannot be used to park on the
streets of New York City. Also, persons traveling outside of New York should check with the
police or motor vehicles agency in the state where they will be traveling to determine if their
permit will be accepted.

Virtual Towns & Schools Website