Recycling and Waste Disposal Information

Village Curbside Garbage Pickup

Garbage pick up is Tuesday mornings. Garbage cans should be tightly covered and placed at the curbside Monday evenings after 4 pm. Please limit cans to 30 gallon size.

Yard Debris, Leaves, Brush etc are picked up at curbside. The pick-up schedule varies based on seasonality and need.  Please check the Highway Department home page on the Village website for an updated schedule. Effective September 1, 2020 lawn and leaf debris placed in plastic bags will not be picked up. You can also avoid using bags altogether by collecting leaves in garbage cans. Brush must be tied in manageable lengths of no longer than four feet.

Christmas Trees can be placed near the curb during the month of January and the Village will collect them. Please thoroughly remove all tinsel and plastic coverings.

Instructions for the Village Curbside Recycling Program

Friday is recycling day in the Village. Recycling materials should be deposited in a recycling container and placed at the curbside Thursday evening after 4 pm for pick-up the following morning. If a container is needed the Village can supply one for $22, but any similar holder can be used.  The Recycling Center does not accept any materials placed in paper bags.  Recyclables placed in plastic bags will not be picked up.

Curbside non-paper recyclables are limited to: glass bottles and jars, plastics (without caps) marked 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 9, aluminum and steel cans, and foil pans. All items must be rinsed clean. Milk and water jugs, and soap containers should have their lids removed and be flattened.

Curbside paper recyclables include almost all paper and cardboard products: newspapers and cardboard, clean food boxes, rinsed cardboard milk and juice containers, catalogues, phonebooks, magazines and junk mail. Any plastic inserts or attachments in junk mail must be removed. Boxes and containers contaminated with food are not accepted. Newspapers should be tied securely with twine or strong cord in 8” to 10” high bundles. Cardboard must be cut and tied securely in bundles in a similar manner to newspapers. Junk mail, clean food boxes, and other paper items can be placed in either a paper bag or cardboard box and then bound with twine. Paper that is not secured with twine often gets loose and will not be accepted. Please do not use tape, rope, nylon stockings, knitting yarn or wire to tie the bundles or put either tied papers or cardboard in plastic bags or the bundles will not be picked up. Also, do not place bundles in the recycling container.

The Village curbside recycling program does not include: aerosol cans, bottle caps, ceramics, coat hangers, dishes, diapers, drinking glasses, fish bowls, flower pots, foam plastics, gas cans, jar lids, headlights, laundry baskets, light bulbs, mirrors, motor oil jugs, paint cans, plastic bags, plastic toys, pots, pans, Pyrex glass, window glass, or scrap metal items.

Additional Recycling and Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Information

Batteries: Most AA, AAA, C, D and 9 volt batteries are safe to dispose of in the garbage. Rechargeable, button cell (camera) and lead acid (car) batteries must be disposed of at the Putnam County Household Hazardous Waste Day. In addition, car batteries can be disposed of at junk yards and retail outlets that sell them and rechargeable batteries can be turned in at Radio Shack. The Village is looking into accepting button cell and rechargeable batteries at a drop point. Check this space for updates.

Cell Phones/Printer Cartridges: These items can be turned in at the Putnam County Household Hazardous Waste Day. Refer to the Putnam County Health Department site for details by clicking here. Many organizations are collecting them as well as a method to raise funds and save money on new printer cartridges. 

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs: These types of light bulbs are not to be disposed in the garbage, but turned in at the Putnam County Household Hazardous Waste Day. The Village is currently looking into collecting them as well. Check this spot for updated information. To avoid breakage of the used bulb you can place it in the plastic packaging of the replacement bulb. Then mark the package to indicate that the bulb is used.

Composting: Composting is another method to cut down on the waste flow that the Village pays to send to landfills. It is also a way to create fertilizer for your garden. For additional information about backyard composting, please refer to the following link.

Computer Monitors, Televisions and Electronics: These items will not picked up for disposal by the Village nor are they accepted at the Philipstown Landfill on Lane Gate Road.  You must arrange privately to dispose of these items.

Metal and White Goods Recycling: You can recycle metal and white good products such as washing machines, refrigerators with doors removed and freon-free air conditioners at the Philipstown Landfill on Lane Gate Road on Saturdays from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. A permit must be obtained in advance from the Town of Philipstown Clerk. There is a charge of $2 per car load, or $5 per truck load. Seniors over 65 are free of charge. Call the Town Clerk’s office if you have any questions at (845) 265-3329.

Paint: Kitty litter can be added to Latex paint that is still liquid as a way of solidifying it. The solid paint can then be disposed of in the garbage. Oil-based paint can be disposed of at the Putnam County Household Hazardous Waste Day.

Plastic Shopping Bags: Several area stores accept plastic bags including Wal-Mart, Hannaford Market, and Foodtown Supermarket.

Putnam County Hazardous Materials Recycling

Hazardous waste items such as oil-based paints, solvents, thinners, and household chemicals can be disposed of at a free Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Day. Pre-registration is required, call the Putnam County Health Department at (845) 808-1390. The time and location for the hazardous waste cleanup varies. For more information please check the Putnam County website for announcements.

Recycling Hints

  • Buying plastic cups that are marked 1 or 2 will allow you to recycle them as opposed to throwing them out in the garbage.  
  • Using paper bags when shopping will give you containers for holding recycled paper and cardboard.
  • Reusing plastic shopping bags or using reusable mesh or canvas bags saves on the fuel used to make the bags and cuts down on landfill garbage.